Vegetarian Recipes

Hummus

All vegetarian, vegan recipes

Hummus

Postby manish » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:02 pm

This is one of the most loved spreads in our home. We even eat it with Parathas besides putting it in Quesadillas and likes. It's not only tasty, but also very nutritious and simple to make.

Ingredients -

• 2 cups chickpeas soaked overnight, and washed thoroughly.
  • Juice of 2 lemons
  • 4 tsp salt
  • 2-3 tbsp sesame butter/tahini
  • 5-6 cloves garlic. You can add more if you like garlic.
  • 4-5 tbsp Olive oil
  • 2-3 tbsp chilli powder Or Ground Pepper.
  • Few black/green olives for garnishing

Procedure

Cook the chickpeas in a pressure cooker till soft with just enough water in the cooker. This might almost double up the quantity (approximately 3.5 to 4 cups of cooked chickpeas). Mix chickpeas, salt, sesame butter, and garlic in the blender. Grind adding water as needed to make a thick almost smooth paste. Add lemon juice once the paste is smooth and blend again. Make it as smooth as desired - some people prefer little grainy texture. So make it as per your own taste. I prefer very smooth paste so I prepare it that way. You may need to grind it in batches to ensure that it is processed properly.

Once the basic paste is ready you can flavour it as desired using different herbs.

In this case, I added red chilli powder, olive oil and mix it well to give it smooth and shiny structure. Keep it in a bowl, drizzle some oilve oil and garnish it with black or green olives.

Alternatively, you can add ground pepper, finely chopped parsley and garnish it with olive oil and some parsley. You can experiment a bit with flavours and make your favourite hummus and enjoy it with nacho chips, or fresh cut vegetables or relish it with Parathas as I do.

I am planning to add Quesadillas recipe with this Hummus as well. Let's see.
manish
Master Chef

Name: Manish Hatwalne

Return to Vegetarian Recipes