Restaurant Reviews

Janseva Bhojanalay, Deccan Gymkhana, Pune

All your experiences about restaurants, eat-outs etc.
Forum rules
Please include only Restaurant Name, Area & City as the Subject here
e.g. Subject: Malaka Spice, Koregaon Park, Pune

Janseva Bhojanalay, Deccan Gymkhana, Pune

Postby manish » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:36 pm

I don't write about Thali restaurants much because I am not a big fan of Thali. I prefer to try other cuisines when I am eating out and thus I seldom visit Maharashtrian restaurant.

However during one of my workshops I needed to have a quick and complete healthy lunch and that's how I landed in Janseva Bhojanalay located near Garware bridge in Deccan area.

I absolutely loved Janseva Bhojanalay's food - it is neither spicy nor sweet and it is perfectly tasty Maharashtrian food with lots of vegetable options and a sweet. I seldom enjoy stuffed brinjal/eggplant curry, but to my surprise I really loved the one they served here. I also liked their dry sabjis and aamti/आमटी (Maharastrian dal with tamarind juice) as well as Dahi Wada/Dahi Bhalla. The best part of the lunch was the hot & soft chapatis/polis that they served promptly whenever I asked. The sweet Gulabjam was quite decent as well.

This is definitely a very good option in Deccan area if you are looking for healthy, complete Maharashtrian meal. The service is quick, but not very warm or polite. Ambiance is of a typical dining hall - nothing great about it, but at times all you need is your perfect square meal, just the way you'd get it at home! At ₹ 190 for an unlimited dish, this is a pretty good option.

The complete Maharashtrian meal

Another look at the healthy meal with sweet in it

Rating -

Food - 4/5
Service - 3.5/5
Ambiance - 3/5
Value for money - 3.5/5

Overall - 3.5/5
Restaurant info on Zomato

So if you are looking for a complete Maharashtrian meal at a reasonable cost in Deccan area, Janseva Bhojanalay is definitely worth considering!
manish
Master Chef

Name: Manish Hatwalne

Return to Restaurant Reviews