Restaurant Reviews

Café de Custard, Kothrud, Pune

All your experiences about restaurants, eat-outs etc.
Forum rules
Please include only Restaurant Name, Area & City as the Subject here
e.g. Subject: Malaka Spice, Koregaon Park, Pune

Café de Custard, Kothrud, Pune

Postby manish » Sun May 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Life is short, eat dessert first!
Their tag line catches your attention and the yummy custards make you happy!

Fruit Salad Custard and Gulkand Custard

Café de Custard is an interesting cafe in Kothrud near MIT College with variety of tasty custards with few other snacks as well. Though decor is minimal with few polycarbonate tables and chairs, the food more than makes up for lack of plush ambiance. The cafe is air-conditioned, so it is comfortable on summer days as you enjoy your desserts there.

Back to the menu, the custards are quite reasonably priced and they are very beautifully presented as well. They are great VFM, in fact - they are great desserts anyway!

Among their custards, we tried Fruit Salad Custard and their newly launched Gulkand Custard (not on the menu yet)and they both turned out quite delicious. Fruit Salad Custard with its beautiful presentation, lots of fruits and Gulkand Custard with its heavenly taste, I was a bit concerned that it would turn out too sweet, but it was just perfect!

Tempting Fruit Salad Custard

We also tried Devilled Mushroom and Schezpaneer sandwiches and Green Apple Ice Tea there. The tea was little bland and diluted but both the sandwiches were really tasty and had the right amount of filling in them. Loved the sandwiches as well! However, after watching the beautiful custards, I was expecting equally beautiful presentation for custards as well - but we were a bit disappointed, we just got 2 grilled triangles of sandwiches and a bottle of ketchup! I hope they can add some salad - maybe lettuce, cucumber, tomato slices and a nice dip with their sandwiches to make them equally attractive. The sandwiches are quite tasty themselves, but better presentation will make them more attractive to the customers. I hope they take this feedback and make the changes soon.

The Café de Custard is run by young and hospitable Pratik who can help you to select the right custard to suit you mood. I had a brief chat with him about the menu, and he mentioned that he is not allowed to have Gas Stove there yet, and that is putting some restrictions on the menu items he can offer. I hope it gets resolved soon so that they can offer more tasty dishes there.

Overall, a nice and innovative cafe with some really delicious custards and snacks! Definitely worth visiting if you're in Kothrud, or if you're a real foodie - worth visiting for its custards from anywhere in Pune! ;-)

Overall rating - 4/5 (Everything factored in, food is the winner!).

Restaurant info on Zomato
manish
Master Chef

Name: Manish Hatwalne

Re: Café de Custard, Kothrud, Pune

Postby neha » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:55 pm

The custards look tempting indeed. Thanks for adding Zomato link, I didn't know it is so close to MIT college, will definitely try soon! :-)
neha
A Cook In The Making

Name: Neha Pune

Postby manish » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:21 pm

Few more tempting & delicious desserts from Café de Custard!

Delicious Mango Custard!

Banana Split with different choice of ice-creams at Café de Custard

Closer look at Banana Split
manish
Master Chef

Postby manish » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:33 pm

CDC has announced special Independence Day Panna Cotta for 15th August - we tried it and found it quite good. Not really great, but 100% marks to innovative idea and its execution.

We also tried brownie with custard, although it was quite tasty, we found brownie rather stale and not quite good! Hope i is just one off problem, they haven't disappointed us otherwise! :-)

Independence Day Panna Cotta at Café de Custard

Brownie with Custard at Café de Custard
manish
Master Chef

Postby manish » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:50 am

CDC keeps their quality consistent with improved plating!
Have a look at this tempting Banana Split!

Tempting Banana Split at Café de Custard

Also, try this Five Spice Panna Cotta - it may not look as tempting as the previous one, but it tastes simply delicious!

Five Spice Panna Cotta at Café de Custard

It is a place worth visiting again & again! :-)
manish
Master Chef

Return to Restaurant Reviews