Restaurant Reviews

Stew Art, Kothrud Pune

All your experiences about restaurants, eat-outs etc.
Forum rules
Please include only Restaurant Name, Area & City as the Subject here
e.g. Subject: Malaka Spice, Koregaon Park, Pune

Stew Art, Kothrud Pune

Postby manish » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:49 pm

This is a small outlet in Kothrud that you'd miss easily unless you know exactly where it is - it is in a small lane parallel to Chaitanya Health club, near Novel Car care and opposite Kheliya. It is a nice concept restaurant that serves only stew (as of now) in various flavours, accompanied by appam and breads. They claim to be India's first stew speciality restaurant.

It is owned by Hemant Thite, he is very warm and explains his relatively lesser known dishes quite well. In fact, menu has been done up quite nicely with little information below each dish explaining what it is. The dishes are quite healthy and tasty, obviously you need to like and enjoy subtle taste that a stew typically offers.

Stew Art Owner Hemant Thite

We tried Hungarian Goulash (which is the best seller as per its owner Hemant), Manglorean Coconut, herb rice and some heavenly garlic breads. The winner is of course Hungarian Goulash, but the Manglorean Coconut was pretty good as well. Nicely blended subtle tastes, good choice of veggies and cooked in minimal oil (no visible traces) make these stews quite likable. I especially loved that well cooked corn cob in the Hungarian Goulash. We have also tried Spicy Brown earlier and that was good as well, but these two are definitely better. So, when you're not in a mood to eat something spicy or oily or if you rather prefer healthy food with subtle tastes, this is one eat-out that you must try. The prices are quite reasonable as well, though they are revising the prices and menu now. The place is small but it has pleasantly vibrant interiors and very courteous staff, and owner makes it a point to greet and talk to each customer when he is around. To me, that's a good sign that they should grow and flourish well if they fine-tune their dishes to the customers' palate.

By fine tuning I mean this - the menu mentions that Manglorean Coconut stew would have tamarind in it, but you can't really sense that flavour, and I had similar expectation when owner mentioned that Spicy Brown stew would have vinegar in it; again, probably it was too subtle to notice. I'd prefer a noticeable sour flavour when these ingredients are mentioned. So I think it wold be great if they could take customers' feedback constructively to fine tune their dishes.

The owner Hemant also mentioned that they are planning to add few more salads, pastas and sandwiches to their menu by the second week of November.

I liked their tastes, some stews might taste bland if you don't particularly like milder food with subtle flavours. But they have chosen to have their restaurant as "Stew Specialty" and we need to look at them based on what they have chosen to serve. I also enjoy spicy food, but at the same time I can relish milder dishes with subtle flavours. You really need to try Hungarian Goulash to experience how subtle flavours can blend well together. We are definitely going to try their other stews as well, and Moroccan Stew is the one I am trying next time! :-)

Give it try, its definitely worth visiting!

Rating -

Food - 4/5
Service - 4.5/5
Ambiance - 3/5
Value for money - 4/5

Overall - 4/5
Restaurant info on Zomato

Sorry, no photos of the actual dishes, we were so hungry that we just finished our food quickly! Next time maybe! :P
manish
Master Chef

Name: Manish Hatwalne

Divine, lip smacking Moroccan Stew

Postby manish » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:32 pm

Had divine, lip smacking Moroccan Stew at Stew Art today. I didn't forget to click this time! :-)

BTW, they have increased the prices, and I think the quantity was little less for one-dish meal. It was really very tasty and it got over so quickly!!! :P

Yeah, their garlic breads (wheat breads) are really tasty - one of the best I've ever had!
manish
Master Chef

Re: Stew Art, Kothrud Pune

Postby manish » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:51 am

Another visit and another feast of delicious stew and other dishes. Moroccan stew was delicious as usual and we also tried pasta and starters there. Pasta was rather average, but starter was really good!

Creamy Pomodoro Pasta at Stew Art, Kothrud

Veg Satay at Stew Art, Kothrud

Delicious Moroccan Stew at Stew Art, Kothrud
manish
Master Chef

Re: Stew Art, Kothrud Pune

Postby manish » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:45 pm

It is heartening to see that someone you rooted for in the early days reinvents his business constantly and provides better experience every time you visit.

Hemant's Stew Art is constantly improving and innovating, he has added lot of new items to his menu and also improved taste as well as presentation/plating of his offerings. He has taken efforts on everything - from his storytelling menu card to making small tiny place comfortable & vibrant. He told me that he even hired a six-sigma expert to speed up his cooking and serving time, he managed to reduce the time to 6 mins form older 20 mins. As you'd notice, earlier reviews of Stew Art on Zomato talked about delay in service but nobody complains about that now. With this attitude and innovative dishes, I am sure Stew Art would grow bigger in the coming days!

Obviously, prices are also increased significantly but given its healthy and unique food, I think you won't have a reason to complain. :-)

Here are some photos from my visit last month -

Menu card that tells a story, explains dishes and looks beautiful!

Moroccan Chermoula Qmah - It was a bit oily though!

Moroccan Stew - Only when I think it can't get any better, I get a pleasant surprise from Stew Art. I missed smoked lemon though and when I mentioned it to Hemant, he quickly gave me one to give that perfect taste. It's their hospitality along with some delicious food that make it one of the most preferred places for us.

Moroccan Stew - don't miss the improved plating!

Mexican Green Rice - It was not as good as we had hoped though!

Fruit Stew - A treat for taste buds! :-)

If you haven't already visited it - I would highly recommend it! :-)
manish
Master Chef

Return to Restaurant Reviews